January 26, 1999
Sponsored by the Columbia Institute
Broadcast Summary Program
About the Conference
Cable Operators have begun offering
high-speed Internet access and services to their subscribers, thus raising
the question of whether cable will become a largely passive conduit
or an active shaper of enhanced communication services.
- How will Internet users benefit?
- Will there be consumer choice among all ISPs?
- Can there be cable operator screening of Internet services and
- Eli Noam - Director, CITI, Moderator
- Mike Botein - Director, Communications Media Center, NY Law School
- Dick Duncan, Executive Editor, Time Inc. New Media
- David G. Ellen - Sr. Counsel, Regulatory & Legal Affairs,
- Lawrence K. Grossman - Former President, NBC News & PBS
- Donna N. Lampert - President, Donna N. Lampert Associates, P.C.
- Melissa Newman - Executive Director, Federal Regulatory Affairs,
- TBA - MindSpring Representative